Monday 6 August 2012

Diane Caron - Making Dreams Come True

Although With Kids is only a small charity based in the east end of Glasgow, the work that we do has resonated with people across the globe.

Thanks to our ambassador, Robert Carlyle's starring role in fairytale drama, Once Upon A Time, a group of his fans decided to get involved and help raise much needed funds. 

One of those fans is American author Diane Caron, who is donating 50% of profits from her book, Clams in Cups: Legends of the Heart to With Kids over the next year.

In the first With Kids' guest blog post, Diane discusses why a charity in Glasgow has captured her heart.

Magic, Dreams and Fairytales

Having had a love of fairytales since childhood, I was drawn to Once Upon a Time from the very beginning.

At a time in my life when I felt there would be no happy endings, it gave me hope that the curse could be broken and that magic in my life was possible again.

I discovered actors I had never seen before and was fascinated by Robert Carlyle’s portrayal of the infamous character of fairytale lore, Rumpelstiltskin.


In my search to learn more about Mr. Carlyle's previous work, I found the interview he had done with With Kids, which captured my heart. His interview was so heartfelt, especially when he spoke about the children and families, and of his father.


I was inspired by his relationship with his father, the love he had for him, the care and sacrifices that were made, and how his father supported him unconditionally and without question in his quest to be an actor.


His father encouraged him to do what was in his heart, which I feel is the key that opens the magic door to the life we are all meant to have.

The interview and With Kids' work resonated with me beyond words. I have always wanted to be involved with organisations that support children and Mr Carlyle’s interview inspired me to move forward to find a way I could help.

After this, I started seeking out information about With Kids, as well as following the Once Upon a Time fan sites, and noticed that people were undertaking various fundraising efforts.


It was then that I decided to donate 50% of all profits from the sale of my book, Clams in Cups: Legends of the Heart, for the next year to With Kids.

One of my dreams is to help children achieve their dreams. And as Mr. Carlyle said in the interview below: 'Don’t ever let anyone take your dreams from you'.


If you want to follow in the footsteps of Diane, we are now inviting our friends, supporters and ambassadors to write guest blog posts for us.

Whether you want to write an article, a poem, or a short story, we want to share your thoughts, opinions, imaginations, dreams and aspirations with our community.

If you would like to write a guest blog post for With Kids, please email s.blair@withkids.co.uk with your ideas and suggestions.

Clams in Cups: Legends of the Heart, is available online at AuthorHouse, Amazon, and Barnes & Noble.

If you have found this post of interest then please feel free to share it with your online community via the share buttons below. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment